Sunday, August 5, 2012

Seriously...it's almost time for school to start? Here are a few lunch box ideas


When I was growing up I use to bring my lunch to school almost every day. My daily lunchbox menu included: a ham and cheese sandwich, an apple and a sweet. Day in and day out this was my standby and I loved it. There were days that I would purchase my lunch from the cafeteria and almost every time I ate from the cafeteria I would get a bellyache. One day I can specifically remember passing a box that was in the cafeteria that had large black print that said: Grade D but edible. Back then I did not know what that meant, but I did assume that it wasn't good. I don't know what was in that box and if it was something that I had eaten but later in life it has been a memory that I have not forgotten. People like Jamie Oliver and First Lady Michelle Obama are trying to make changes in the school districts so that children have an improved exposure to healthier food at schools. Have you spoken to your school about their daily menus? Even as a parent you can make a difference in what your child eats at school. What did you eat in school? Post below our suggestions to share with our multitude of readers! 


ABCD Eat Right

Lunch Box Combo's


1. Lean turkey and cheese tortilla wraps + 1 cup chopped fruit + pirate booty baked corn puffs(snack size bag) + 100% Juice box (4 oz box)

2. Hummus with pita bread, carrot slices and cheese + applesauce cup + yogurt smoothie drink or cup of yogurt

3. Nut butter and no sugar added jelly on whole grain bread+ 1 banana or whole fruit + 1 lunchbox ready package shelled edamame + 2% milk box or milk in a Thermos.


Two other favorite sites that we have for lunch ideas are: Weelicious.com (follow them on Facebook), and Super Healthy Kids (also follow them on Facebook).

If you need more personalized nutrition advice from a Registered and Licensed dietitian contact Brandi@abcdeatright.com or visit our website at: www.ABCDEatRight.com or www.OnANutritionMission.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment