Tuesday, November 19, 2013

How do you eat your eggs? The dietitians husband loves the unrefined egg.

I have always had a love/hate relationship with eggs. I love the fact that they are a healthy addition to the diet, easy to make and full of high value protein, antioxidants and vitamins all packed into 70 calories. The nutrients in eggs contribute to weight management, enhanced brain function, muscle strength and eye health. I just personally, don't like them and I attribute my dislike to a sea sickness episode in my late teens. Eggs have gotten a bad name for themselves over the years because of the amount of cholesterol that each has in it. Each egg has 187 milligrams of cholesterol, which except for shellfish and organ meats is one of the highest containing cholesterol foods.  We as animals make our own cholesterol and otherwise we mainly ingest cholesterol by eating other animals or their byproducts such as dairy and of course eggs. If you have an issue with high cholesterol I would recommend to not go overboard on eggs, but if you are an active healthy person, especially kids, 2 eggs a few times a week should not be a problem. And, to eliminate the majority of the cholesterol just eat the white of the egg and not the yellow. You will still get the protein benefits. 

Now back to the question at hand, how do you eat your eggs? 
My dad always made omelets with vegetables, my mom liked them fried or scrambled, my step dad would marinate his eggs in ketchup and prior to my boating illness I would cover up the eggs with cheese and tomato salsa. One of the first things I learned to cook was scrambled eggs in the microwave. 


Here are a few additional unrefined ways that we cook eggs now:
1. Fried in coconut oil.

2. Take 2 eggs, scramble them and pour them onto a hot waffle iron. 
3. Souffle them. Scramble the raw eggs with a tablespoon of milk, add vegetables or lean meat, pour into a cupcake pan prepped with spray oil. Cook at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. 
4. Hard boiled (always an easy addition to salads and sandwiches). 
5. Poached eggs. I add poached eggs to a Bok choy, garlic, pasta and vegetable broth dinner for the family. 

I have had a strong desire to read Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham to our 4 year old daughter lately, I think it is because I have an innate desire to try the incredible edible egg again. I'll let you know how it goes but in the mean time don't be afraid of the egg, try them for breakfast, lunch or dinner for an extra burst of unrefined protein and vitamins! 




No comments:

Post a Comment