Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Day 3 Hydrating for the Holidays...Why is water important?

On the 3rd Day of Christmas 
my Registered Dietitian recommended to me....
Stay Hydrated throughout the holidays!

It hit me like a ton of bricks while I was shopping for early Christmas presents...dry mouth, headache, fatigue and the near feeling of passing out. I could not believe it, I was really dehydrated. I had been so busy with the kids, exercising and checking off my Christmas list that I forgot to stay hydrated. I drank 2 cups of coffee in the morning but I know better than that and know that caffeine is really more of a diuretic working to take fluid away from you. The celebratory cocktails the night before were also not doing my body any favors and were contributing to my overall state of dehydration. 

Here are a few recommendations so that you do not succumb to dehydration during the holidays and throughout the year:


1. Drink at least 6-8 cups (1 cup = 8 ounces = 240ml) per day. 
2.Items that are liquid at room temperature count as fluid (Popsicle, soup etc).  
3. Watch out for caffeinated and alcoholic beverages. For every cup of these products add an additional cup of water. 
4. Foods such as fruits and vegetables can contribute up to 20% of your hydration needs for the day, so don't forget to include these foods. 
5. Stick with water, low fat milk, 100% fruit juices and stay away from sodas, sport drinks and energy drinks as much as possible.

By following these recommendations you will stay hydrated and healthy well into the new year!

FACEBOOK: DIETITIANS HUSBAND UNREFINED & ABCD Eat Right
www.ABCDEatRight.com
Brandi@Abcdeatright.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment