Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April Fool's Day- Pranks, Jokes and fun with a healthy twist.


The first day of April has been recognized as the notorious day for jokes and pranks. This year I decided to have a little fun with the kids and try a new dip for an after school snack. Some of the ideas I got I read in Family Fun Magazine then I added a little twist of my own.

For breakfast I told the kids they could have Brownies and pie. They were excited until they lifted up the napkin to find this: Brown "E's" and the Greek letter Pi. Hee Hee.



Then for an after school snack I made them a dip that I modified a little bit to look like raw cookie dough. I never let them eat raw cookie dough so they knew something was up but the joke was on them because not only was the dip delicious it was packed full of fiber and protein. The mystery ingredient was a can of chickpeas!

Here is the recipe that I adapted from April's edition of Family Fun:

In a food processor I blended the following ingredients:

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup peanut butter (organic, unsweetened)
4 tablespoons raw oats
1 tablespoon almond milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/8 teaspoon baking soda or salt

After blending, fold in your favorite cookie fillings (chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, seeds, etc. )
Dip a sliced apple or pretzel sticks. Enjoy!

Keep up with fun tips, recipes and healthy ideas:
Facebook:ABCD Eat Right & Americas Dietitian
Twitter: @ABCDEatRight1


 

No comments:

Post a Comment