Saturday, January 14, 2012

Eating Disorders and a book review

Over the past year I have encountered four cases of children under the age of 20 with suspected eating disorders to one degree or another. Some of my patients even included boys, which is not typically what one thinks when they think of a person being anorexic or bulimic. Each person had different signs of an eating disorder and the signs were more than just being a "picky eater".

I have always been interested in helping people with eating disorders but I am not trained in counseling for eating disorders. Clinicians that treat eating disorders must first work through a persons behaviours and emotions before trekking through the nutrition side of the disease.

My interest in eating disorders led me to read Unbearable Lightness by Portia DeRossi. There are numerous professionally written articles and other books that highlight eating disorders but I was intrigued by Portia's story because I recognized her as a beautiful and popular actor and model from the 90's up until today. Her story was interesting and insightful because it was told from the heart and mind of a severe anorexic. At the end of the book there are pictures that demonstrate how ill Portia became before she finally sought professional help. If you are interested in autobiographical books I recommend Portia's story.

If you suspect that your child has an eating disorder I recommend that you find a dietitian who is certified to help with eating disorders. You can visit www.EatRight.org to find a professional in your area.

1 comment:

  1. A really engaging read. The most shocking aspect of this story for me was how Ms de Rossi's feeling the need to hide her sexuality for fear of damaging her acting career fuelled her eating disorder.

    ReplyDelete