Sunday, August 12, 2012

Complaints, tears and lunch ideas


When I was in fifth grade I can remember coming home and complaining to my mom about how she did not make my sandwich right for lunch. My mom, being the feisty Italian lady that she was and the good mom that wanted to teach me a lesson about how the world works, told me that she no longer would be making my lunch and that I was on my own. I was devastated. I now had to not only go to school but make my lunch as well! How could she! Well she did and it worked out fine. She bought all the groceries and I made my own lunch pretty much every day through High School. I ate every bite of my lunch and never complained about how my mom prepared food again. I am not necessarily promoting throwing your child into making their lunch cold turkey, but involving them in the process will likely increase their intake of healthy foods and the lunch they eat.



Here are some  lunch box combinations sure to be a hit with your kids! 



1) Brown rice cakes with nut butter, thinly sliced apples or bananas + Organic Yogurt squeezes + Water in a thermos.

2) Pita with cucumbers, hummus and  2 ounces cheese + 1 Thermos 1% milk or strawberry milk box (Organic Milk) +Baked Pita chips + raisin box. 

3) Bean, rice and cheese rolled up in a whole wheat tortilla + fruit salad (seasonal chopped fruit mixed with low-fat yogurt) + water in thermos or small bottle.

If you are in South Florida and you want to take a grocery store tour to brainstorm with a Registered Dietitian about healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner ideas for the family or individual contact Brandi@ABCDEatRight.com today!

www.ABCDEatRight.com
www.OnANutritionMission.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment